Share this product
Add your review
Review 2018 Pym-Rae Tesseron Estate Red 750ml

2018 Pym-Rae Tesseron Estate Red 750ml

($350.00 Incl. tax)
available for order
California - Napa Valley - Mount Veeder - Red - 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 17% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc
About the Wine

The Tesseron Estate, formerly owned by Robin Williams, has made some intense and amazing wines in the last few years. This will be Pym-Rae's third vintage, and its all the rave with wine critics around the world. In 2016 the Tesseron family acquired the estate and have definitely made a stylistic impact on the region. 

   A unique philosophy inherited from Pontet-Canet has been adapted to the local conditions. It’s a natural “handmade” approach, a focus which flows from vineyard and winegrower, rather than cellar and winemaker. Depth, balance and freshness: every detail is carefully considered to unlock the potential of this rare vineyard, and gracefully highlight its unique character.
   This top producing estate only produces one wine, the Napa Valley Pym-Rae. Winemaker Jérôme Ledit takes this blend of 30 year old vine 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 17% Merlot and 7% Cabernet Franc above and beyond. The berries are sorted manually above the vats to protect the fruit from any rough treatment. With the same philosophy there is no use of pumps or automatic temperature control. Extraction is made gently thanks to the vats’ small size and great care is taken during each step of vinification. Temperatures are measured and adjusted manually, the wine in each vat is like a newborn baby, handled with fragility and given tons of love. The complete fermented wine is then carefully transfered into 70% new French oak barrels and the remaining 30% into concrete tanks and allowed to age for 16 months. 

   Tasting Notes: The 2018 Pym-Rae reveals a deep garnet-purple color and a slightly reticent, slowly emerging nose of freshly crushed blackcurrants, ripe blackberries and wild blueberries with suggestions of garrigue, red currant jelly, mossy tree bark and truffles plus wafts of bouquet garni and Sichuan pepper. The palate is full-bodied and fantastically concentrated with tightly wound layers of black and red berry notions, framed by very firm yet beautifully ripe tannins and amazing tension, finishing with epic length and loads of mineral sparks.